Arabic-L:LING:Needs resources on noun-noun compounding in Arabic

Mon Apr 29 22:27:49 UTC 2013

1) Subject:Needs resources on noun-noun compounding in Arabic

Date: 29 Apr 2013
From: Nesrine Basheer <n.basheer at gmail.com>
Subject:Needs resources on noun-noun compounding in Arabic

Ahlan everyone,

I need resources on how noun-noun compounding is formed in Arabic. I am
examining how native speakers of (Egyptian) Arabic would deal with the
difference between "a cup of coffee" and "a coffee cup". I understand that
iDaafa can be used in both cases to say فنجان قهوة and that the second
could be rephrased into فنجان للقهوة. But I need to cite resources.
A cross-linguistic analysis would be ideal, but any other directions would
be equally appreciated.

Alf shukr!

Nesrine