Arabic-L:LING:New Dictionaries

Fri Dec 20 12:51:22 UTC 2013

1) Subject: New Dictionaries

Date: 20 Dec 2013
From:Tim Buckwalter <timbuckwalter at qamus.org>
Subject: New Dictionaries

I'd like to bring to your attention to two recently published dictionaries
that appear to be leaders in their class. I haven't had time to review them
in detail (I hope to do that at a later date) so this is just a brief note
for those of you who love Arabic dictionaries (you know who you are).

The first is a beautifully produced and fairly large (4 vols) Arabic-Arabic
pedagogical dictionary (قاموس مدرسي) by Abd al-Ghani Abu Al-'Azm, called
معجم الغني الزاهر (Dictionnaire Alghani Azzahir). You can find detailed
information on the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/%D9%85%D8%B9%D8%AC%D9%85-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%BA%D9%86%D9%8A-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B2%D8%A7%D9%87%D8%B1-Dictionnaire-Alghani-Azzahir/157866871079283

And here is a recent interview with the author:
http://www.2m.ma/Programmes/Magazines/Culture/node_47147/12

You may be familiar already with an earlier dictionary, al-Ghani (الغني),
by the same author, that has been one of the online dictionaries on the
Sakhr dictionary website (Ajeeb) since around 1998:
http://lexicons.ajeeb.com/intro/intro.aspx?fileurl=introduction.asp

The second dictionary is called Al-Murshid: A General Arabic-English
Dictionary (المرشد: معجم عربي-انجليزي عام) by Abdul-Fattah Abu-Ssaydeh, who
has written extensively on multi-word units (including collocations), for
example:
Collocation and the Arabic - English Dictionary: Ideas for Better
Dictionaries, Zeitschrift für arabische Linguistik 48 (2008) 10-34

and has also authored an English-Arabic dictionary of English idiomatic
expression:
Abu-Ssaydeh, Abdul-Fattah. 2005. A dictionary of English idiomatic
expressions, English-Arabic = al-Murshid ilá maʻānī al-muṣṭalaḥāt
al-Inkilīzīyah, Inkilīzī-ʻArabī. Bayrūt: Dār al-Khayyāl.

Here's the Facebook page on his latest work, and it includes a link to a
PDF file with sample pages:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Al-Murshid-An-Arabic-English-Dictionary-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%B1%D8%B4%D8%AF-%D9%85%D8%B9%D8%AC%D9%85-%D8%B9%D8%B1%D8%A8%D9%8A-%D8%A7%D9%86%D8%AC%D9%84%D9%8A%D8%B2%D9%8A-%D8%B9%D8%A7%D9%85/148934985186986

This dictionary appears to go far beyond what we've seen so far in
Arabic-English dictionaries in terms of idiomatic collocations in the
target language.

Cheers, and Happy Arabic Language Day! (Dec. 18)

Tim Buckwalter