Arabic-L:PEDA:Summer Arabic & Politics Exchange in Tunis

Sat Feb 9 21:19:34 UTC 2013

1) Subject:Summer Arabic & Politics Exchange in Tunis

Date: 9 Feb 2013
From:Nicholas Noe <noe at mideastwire.com>
Subject:Summer Arabic & Politics Exchange in Tunis

Apply for the Summer Arabic & Politics Exchange in Tunis, June 14-July 12,
2013/Opening Weekend Hosted by the International Crisis Group

The Summer Arabic & Politics Exchange in Tunis:

Mideastwire.com and its partners - Université Paris-Dauphine I Tunis,
Tunisia Live and the Bosphore Academy - are pleased to announce the first
Summer Arabic & Politics Exchange June 14-July 12, 2013, in Tunis, Tunisia.

The four-week course will immerse our participants in the language and
politics of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), with a particular
emphasis on direct engagement with some of the leading academic, political,
intellectual and religious figures active across the spectrum in Tunisia.

This summer's Exchange will also be opened by a two-day conference, June
15-16, led by more than a dozen MENA experts from the International Crisis
Group (ICG - www.crisisgroup.org). The consecutive weekend sessions will
cover a broad range of topics addressed by ICG's country analysts and
moderated by their senior staff.

Different participation modules (detailed below) are available: Including
morning Arabic classes only, afternoon and weekend Politics seminars only,
attendance at the opening ICG conference, and two-weeks of Politics
seminars instead of the full month. TO REQUEST AN APPLICATION for this
Summer's Exchange, emailinfo at mideastwire.com.

APPLY BY APRIL 20, 2013 (applicants are accepted on a rolling basis and
spaces are limited).

Note that tuition discounts are available for those applicants with
demonstrated need as well as alumni of our previous Exchanges. For more
information, please email info at mideastwire.com

*******************

Background on Five Years of the Exchange in the MENA Region:

The Exchange is an effort by Mideastwire.com and its partners to promote
direct engagement and understanding through a variety of city-focused
conferences.

The First Exchange was launched in June 2008 in Beirut, Lebanon. Now,
several years on, over 270 students from 44 different countries have
participated in 16 different Exchange programs across the region, with many
going on to work as diplomats in their home countries, for NGOs serving the
region and as social entrepreneurs.

The Exchange welcomes applications from current students as well as
professionals and post-professionals interested in better understanding the
Middle East and North Africa, and, we hope, their own country's involvement
in the region.

To view previous Exchange programs in Lebanon, Syria, Turkey, Tunis and the
Gulf, as well as media coverage of our efforts, visit
http://www.thebeirutexchange.com

*******************

Program Details & Costs:

This Summer's Exchange will be offered in the following modules:

OPTION A: Politics Only-Full Course, June 14-July 12

* Participants will engage in over 140 hours of seminars, meetings and
field trips offered in the afternoons (1:30pm-6:30pm) and weekends
throughout the four week course June 14-July 12;

* The language of the Politics Course is English, with translation from
French and Arabic provided for all students;

* For previous Tunis Exchange programs detailing the scope of our
activities, the range of speakers and where we travel in the country, visit
www.thebeirutexchange.com;

* FEE OPTION A - $2300.

OPTION B: Politics Only-Half Course, June 14-June 28 or June 28-July 12

* Participants will have the option of joining us during our Politics
Course in the afternoons (1:30pm-6:30pm) and weekends either June 14-June
28 or June 28-July 12 (approximately 70 hours of sessions);

* As with all of our Exchanges, the precise program will only be released
in hard copy at the beginning of the course, although we expect to announce
speakers and field trips scheduled for each Half Course by April 2013 and
expect there to be a rough balance in the caliber of speakers between both
Courses;

* Participants in the first Half Course June 14-June 28 will be afforded
full access to the opening conference June 15 and 16 convened by the
International Crisis Group;

* FEE OPTION B - $1400.

OPTION C: Arabic Only-Full Course, June 14-July 12

* Participants will engage in 60 hours of Arabic classes offered at several
different levels including both colloquial Tunisian and Formal Arabic,
9am-12pm, every Monday to Friday;

* The courses will be coordinated and taught by the Bosphore Academy (
www.bosphoreacemie.com) at their facility in downtown Tunis, within walking
distance of our hotel facility, nearby participant accommodations as well
as all afternoon sessions;

* For more specific information on the Arabic classes offered during the
Exchange, please emailinfo at mideastwire.com;

* FEE OPTION C: $900.

OPTION D: Politics & Arabic-Full Course, June 14-July 12

* Participants will engage in both Option A and Option C, joining our
morning Arabic classes as well as the afternoon and weekend Politics
sessions and the opening ICG conference;

* FEE OPTION D: $3200.

OPTION E: ICG Conference, June 14-16

* During the opening weekend of this summer's Exchange, participants will
engage in more than 18 hours of consecutive sessions led by more than a
dozen International Crisis Group experts and senior staff, covering the
topics that ICG regularly analyses in MENA through its policy reports,
commentary and alerts;

* ICG country experts will be led by Robert Malley, ICG's director of MENA
programs;

* FEE OPTION D: $350 regular admission/Exchange Alumni $250. (accommodation
and meals not included)

*******************

Logistics & Other Costs

Location - All Arabic sessions during the month will take place in downtown
Tunis at the Bosphore Academy classrooms (www.bosphoreacemie.com) on Avenue
Mohammad V. All Politics sessions will take place in the main conference
room of the Tunis Dauphine Institute (http://www.tunisdauphine.tn/) located
within 15-20 minutes walking distance of the Bosphore Academy, as well as
our preferred accommodations, including our own hotel facility.

Accommodations - Participants have the option of securing their own
accommodations during the program. Accommodation at either our Bed and
Breakfast (The Maison Tunis) located next to the Bosphore Academy or across
the street at the three star El-Pacha hotel (http://www.lepacha.com.tn/)
will cost approximately $950-$1200 for the month in a shared double room,
including breakfast and all taxes.

Air Travel - It is highly recommended that all participants reserve their
airline tickets as early as possible since the summer season is a difficult
time to secure seats. Roundtrip tickets from Western Europe are typically
$400 during the summer and approximately $900 from the United States.

Miscellaneous - Tunisia is a relatively affordable country when it comes to
food and transportation. Participants should budget a minimum of $15 per
day for lunch and dinner, as well as a minimum of $300 for other leisure
costs during the month.

Financial Aid - In order to gather a diverse group of participants, we
offer financial aid to applicants with demonstrated need amounting to
between 25% and 50% of the tuition cost. Unfortunately, we cannot offer
financial aid towards accommodation costs, airfare or other boarding and
leisure costs.

En-Nahda Party
Congress for the Republic Party
Ettakatol Party
Constitutional Democratic Rally Party
The Democratic Modernist Pole Party
Worker's Communist Party
Progressive Democratic Party
Tunisian General Trade Union
Union of Tunisian Journalists
The Central Bank of Tunisia
Ministry of Women's Affairs
Ministry of Human Rights
Manouba University
Tunis University
Association of Democratic Women
Tunisian Network for Social Economy
Tunisian Observatory for a Democratic Transition
Tunisian League of Human Rights
Tunisian-American Chamber of Commerce
Tunisian Association of Young Entrepreneurs
Committee to Protect Journalists
Attounsia Newspaper

To view a schedule for previous Tunis Exchanges, visit:

www.thebeirutexchange.com/images/stories/1_-_Tunis_Exchange_Schedule_Final_Tunis.pdf

REQUEST AN APPLICATION via info at mideastwire.com

APPLY BY April 20, 2013 (note that applicants are accepted on a rolling
basis and spaces are limited)