Arabic-L:TRANS:'cease and desist' responses

Wed Feb 27 19:14:08 UTC 2013

1) Subject:'cease and desist' responses
2) Subject:'cease and desist' responses
3) Subject:'cease and desist' responses
4) Subject:'cease and desist' responses

Date: 27 Feb 2013
From:Oliver JL Renwick <oliver.renwick at gmail.com>
Subject:'cease and desist' responses

Hi,

For 'cease and desist', as in, "Cease and Desist Order", The California
Superior Court's Arabic/English Glossary gives it as "الكف والمنع", which
to me sounds somewhat more elliptical than the English, but hey, as you're
looking for an 'idiomatic' equivalent, maybe that serves your purposes.

I don't have the expertise necessary to evaluate the quality of the
California Arabic glossary (or its relevance vis-a-vis comparative legal
systems in Arabophone areas), but I can speak to their Spanish glossary:
while a valiant attempt and a great resource to begin with, it is somewhat
outdated, and frequently relies on calqued and imprecise
approximations--for what it's worth.

Best

Oliver JL Renwick
Court Interpreter, Superior Court of Arizona in Maricopa County
oliver.renwick at gmail.com
www.oliverrenwick.com