Arabic-L:PEDA:Needs Lexical Inference Studies focused on L1 Arabic/L2 English

Wed Jan 30 19:29:05 UTC 2013

1) Subject:Needs Lexical Inference Studies focused on L1 Arabic/L2 English

Date: 30 Jan 2013
From:Eric Wallace <ehwallac at andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject:Needs Lexical Inference Studies focused on L1 Arabic/L2 English

[please respond directly to the requester]

Hello. I'm a student in the Second Language Acquisition PhD program at
Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. I'm currently designing my
dissertation study....

I'm interested in designing a training study to help advanced L2 English
readers better infer the meanings of unknown words they encounter while
reading (i.e. lexical inference). Few studies have looked at L2 lexical
inference, and even fewer have looked at training L2 lexical inference. I
am interested in working with L1 Arabic speakers for my dissertation
research.

Aside from the study by Zaid (2009) "A Comparison of Inferencing and
Meaning-guessing of New Lexicon in Context versus Non-context Vocabulary
Presentation", I cannot locate any other lexical inference studies that
have focused squarely on lexical inference with L1 Arabic speakers reading
L2 English.

Do you happen to know of any other lexical inference studies that have
focused on L1 Arabic/L2 English?

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.

Thank you,

Eric Wallace
Second Language Acquistion PhD Program
Carnegie Mellon University