Arabic-L:LING:NEW BOOK:Written Egyptian Arabic 1401-2009

Wed Jul 10 22:32:48 UTC 2013

1) Subject:NEW BOOK:Written Egyptian Arabic 1401-2009

Date: 10 Jul 2013
From:Humphrey Davies hdavies at aucegypt.edu
Subject:NEW BOOK:Written Egyptian Arabic 1401-2009

Humphrey Davies and Madiha Doss: Al-ʿAmmiyyah al-Misriyyah
al-Maktubah—Mukhtarat min 1401 ila 2009 (Writings in Egyptian Colloquial,
1401 to 2009). Cairo: General Egyptian Book Organization, 2013. (369 p.)

The work attempts to document the phenomenon of written production in this
supposedly strictly oral language variety. It is divided into two parts
(from the Mamluk through the Ottoman periods, and from the Nahdah till
(almost) today). The second part is sub-divided into prose, poetry and
drama. Materials are all fully colloquial and written, i.e., we have
excluded “middle Arabic,” transcriptions of oral performance, and examples
of colloquial dialogue in modern novels.

A 12-page introduction lays out the reasoning behind the work and our
approach and attempts to map the periods in which this phenomenon was most,
and least, in evidence. Each excerpt is preceded by a brief
biographical/bibliographical note on the writer. Our earliest sample is a
poem commemorating the death of an elephant that fell into a trench in
Cairo and we end with advertising copy and blogs. On the way we visit much
that is interesting (and also, often, funny). Some items are quite
unexpected, such as a letter written in 1909 in Latin characters and the
short piece with which Faris al-Shidyaq (of all people!) ends his magnum
opus al-Saq ʿala al-saq.