Arabic-L:LING:JOB:CJK Dictionary Institute Needs Editor of Arabic English Learners Dictionary

Wed Jul 10 22:32:58 UTC 2013

1) Subject:JOB:CJK Dictionary Institute Needs Editor of Arabic English
Learners Dictionary

Date: 10 Jul 2013
From:Kurt Easterwood <akurt at cjki.org>
Subject:JOB:CJK Dictionary Institute Needs Editor of Arabic English
Learners Dictionary

The CJK Dictionary Institute (CJKI, http://www.cjk.org) is
looking for an editor to help complete an Arabic-English
Learner's Dictionary (AELD).

This dictionary aims to enable learners to gain a good
understanding of the meanings and usage of the core
vocabulary of Modern Standard Arabic. We feel quite
strongly that the advanced compilation techniques we're
employing, and numerous unique and special features of
this dictionary, will distinguish it as the most useful and
easy-to-use Arabic learner’s dictionary ever compiled.

Regarding the editor position, we are looking for someone
with native-speaking, or near-native, English ability who
also possesses good Arabic (though not necessarily
native level). Ideally this person would have previous
dictionary editing and/or proofreading experience.

The job would entail proofreading the accuracy of English
translations of Arabic headwords and Arabic example
sentences, and making appropriate changes to the English
if needed. It could entail some changes to the original Arabic,
although this is less likely to occur. The dictionary contains
approximately 5,000 main entries, with at least one to
several example sentences per entry.

We are looking for candidates who would be able to devote
to the project approximately 20 hours or more per month
over a period of several months, working from home.

More detailed information about the dictionary, including a
page sample, is here:
http://www.kanji.org/kanji/dictionaries/cald/cald_overview.pdf

Persons interested in this position should email our director
Jack Halpern at jack at cjki.org with a copy of their resume
attached (.pdf or .doc files only, please).

About CJKI
The CJK Dictionary Institute specializes in Chinese, Japanese,
Korean and Arabic lexicography. CJKI is headed by Jack Halpern,
editor-in-chief of the New Japanese-English Character Dictionary
and various other dictionaries that have become standard
reference works for studying Japanese. CJKI is one of the world's
prime sources for CJK and Arabic lexical resources, contributing
to CJK and Arabic information processing technology with its
high-quality lexical resources.