Arabic-L:PEDA:Study Abroad in Oman

Fri Jun 14 14:26:39 UTC 2013

1) Subject:Study Abroad in Oman

Date: 14 May 2013
From:J. Larry Brown <brown.jlarry at gmail.com>
Subject:Study Abroad in Oman

Dear University Colleagues:

I am sending this communication given growing concern about student safety
in countries of the region, now including Turkey, Lebanon and even Jordan.
We see this concern through consistent media coverage, and also through the
notable increase of students seeking to study with us in Oman-- as well as
from universities that have asked if we can now accept more of their
students this fall.

Based on these requests, we have made plans to double our Study Abroad
Program for this coming September (www.omancenter.org). But there is, of
course a limit to what we can do, particularly in a relatively short period
of time. And while we want to be as responsive as possible, I also am
concerned that our efforts to accommodate not be at the expense of viable
programs elsewhere. But violence in parts of the region is of obvious
concern and the limitations it places on students who desire international
study accrue to no one's long-term benefit.

Many of you realize that Oman is welcoming and highly safe, with no student
safety issues in eight years of study abroad so far. So this is our
situation, and our desire to be helpful, albeit with limitations of
practicality. I ask university program administrators seeking to re-direct
students to Oman to contact me before the end of June, so we can have
appropriate discussions and makes necessary plans to accommodate them at
CIL.

J. Larry Brown, Ph.D
President and Academic Dean
Center for International Learning