Arabic-L:LING:standalone wa-

Fri Mar 8 23:59:45 UTC 2013

1) Subject:standalone wa-
2) Subject:standalone wa-
3) Subject:standalone wa-
4) Subject:standalone wa-

Date: 08 Mar 2013
From:mcredi at cloud9.net
Subject:standalone wa-

The conjunctions of coordination "waaw" and "fa'" as well as the
prepositions "li-" and "bi-" are not one-letter words and must be attached
to the following word. While there is no disagreement as to the way fa-, li
and bi- are written, it seems that this is not the case as far as waaw is
concerned.

The source of the difference of opinion, as far as I can tell, is that
waaw, unlike fa-, li- and bi-, is not connectable, i.e., not connected to
the following letter. Thus came the idea that it can be detached from the
following word. As evidence that the waaw can only be attached to the
following word is that I have never seen it standing alone at the end of a
line. Does the data presented earlier show a standalone waaw at the end of
a line?

Medhat Credi
mcredi at nyu.edu