Arabic-L:LING:etymology of zalameh

Fri Mar 29 22:53:08 UTC 2013

1) Subject:etymology of zalameh
2) Subject:etymology of zalameh
3) Subject:etymology of zalameh

Date: 29 Mar 2013
From:"Fishbein, Michael" <fishbein at humnet.ucla.edu>
Subject:etymology of zalameh

The Syriac etymology is probably correct, but the root is S (emphatic) - L
- M. The ultimate source is probably the word S(emphatic)alma (long final
a, the mark of status emphaticus). Payne Smith, Syriac English Dictionary,
p. 480, gives the following definitions:

a) image, figure, form; a picture
b) an image on a coin
c) an image, idol
d) astron. Salma Rabba, Sagittarius

Brockelmann, Lexicon Syriacum, p. 630, adds:

4. neos. vultus, facies (i.e., Neosyriac countenance, face)
5. persona (?) (i.e., person)

The last meaning is very close to the meaning of Arabic zalameh.
Brockelmann gives the source for the meaning "persona" as J. S. Assemanus,
Bibliotheca orientalis (Rom. 1719 - 28), 1:80, 81.

The shift from S (emphatic) to z occurs in other Syriac words.

Interestingly, the original meaning of Arabic shakhS is "a body, or bodily,
or corporeal form… seen from afar" (Lane, s.v). The same semantic
development from image to individual apparently took place in Syriac and
Arabic.

The meaning of the Hebrew cognate S(emphatic)elem is similar to the primary
meaning of the Syriac/Aramaic, "image, form." The Arabic cognate apparently
is S(emphatic) - N - M, giving Sanam, idol.

Michael Fishbein, Lecturer in Arabic (retired)
Dept. of Near Eastern Languages & Cultures
378B Humanities Building, UCLA
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1511
tel. 310 206-2229