Arabic-L:LING:wa+personal pronouns responses

Thu May 9 16:36:11 UTC 2013

1) Subject:wa+personal pronouns response
2) Subject:wa+personal pronouns response
3) Subject:wa+personal pronouns response
4) Subject:wa+personal pronouns response

Date: 09 May 2013
From:Mustafa Mughazy <mustafa.mughazy at wmich.edu>
Subject:wa+personal pronouns response

Dear Dana,

This is a very interesting construction, and it is usually referred to as
الحال "circumstantial adjunct clause".
The temporal relation can be simultaneity, but this is actually the
exception. The relation is that of a sub-set.
The event described in the main clause has to temporally fit within the
duration of that described in the embedded clause (even if they happ en at
the same time), but not vice versa.
You cannot have a perfective verb in the embedded clause or an achievement.
There is a discussion of that construction in my dissertation. I can
send it to you if you are interested.

Thanks,
Mustafa Mughazy