Arabic-L:PEDA:Seeks videos on how to roll 'r'

Tue Oct 1 13:56:27 UTC 2013

1) Subject: Seeks videos on how to roll 'r'

Date: 02 Oct 2013
From: "Horesh, Uri" <uhores at essex.ac.uk>
Subject: Seeks videos on how to roll 'r'

I'm teaching an intro Arabic class, and one of my students, who has studied
some cognitive science and linguistics, and claims to know about brain
plasticity and realizes that as a 20 year-old his brain is not as prone to
learning a new phonemic inventory than when he was 3, has asked me whether
I knew of any good videos for teaching how to roll one's /r/s. Our textbook
(Alif Baa) does have videos illustrating how to pronounce *all* Arabic
phonemes, but this is inadequate for him. He has searched YouTube, but so
far to no avail.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Uri
--
Uri Horesh, Lecturer in Arabic
Program in Middle East and North African Studies