Arabic-L:LING:Mutual Intelligibilty Research

Thu Sep 19 06:30:15 UTC 2013

1) Subject: Mutual Intelligibilty Research
2) Subject: Mutual Intelligibilty Research

Date: 19 Sep 2013
From: "Slavomír Čéplö" <bulbulthegreat at gmail.com>
Subject: Mutual Intelligibilty Research

Dear Rasha,

as far as I'm aware, there has so far been no research published which
would rigurously test the mutual intelligibility of Arabic dialects.
There has been plenty of studies testing the mutual intelligibility of
related varieties of other languages (Dutch and Frisian, Scandinavian
Germanic languages, topolects of Chinese) and there is a large-scale
project going on which attempts to do the same for closely related
languages in Europe (http://www.let.rug.nl/gooskens/project/), but
nothing on Arabic.
Which is why I put together a grant proposal for a pilot project to
test the mutual intelligibility of three varieties of Arabic using the
methodology employed by one of the studies on topolects of Chinese
(essentially listening comprehension tests, see
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0024384108001678).
The three varieties in question are Maltese, Libyan (Benghazi) Arabic
and Tunisian Arabic, the primary reasons for the selection being that
a) my research focus is currently on Maltese and there the issue of
mutual intelligibility is even more tricky, and b) me and my research
partners believe the best way to test the methodology would be to
focus on one region. I'm happy to report that the grant proposal went
through and we are currently in the final stages of preparation with
the first part of field tests scheduled for November. The completion
is scheduled for March 2014, but until then, I'd be happy to answer
any other questions you may have.

Yours sincerely,

Slavomír