Arabic-L:GEN:CairoBookStop webs project

Tue Aug 12 16:13:47 UTC 2014

1) Subject: CairoBookStop website

Date: 12 Aug 2014
From: Nancy Spleth Linthicum <nslint at umich.edu>
Subject: CairoBookStop website

Michele Henjum and I are pleased to announce the launch of our website
CairoBookStop (if link isn't working, copy and paste the following link
into your browser:http://cairobookstop.wordpress.com/). Please excuse
multiple postings.

CairoBookStop is a non-commercial web-project that seeks to bring together
and assist scholars, book lovers, book buyers, book makers, and book
sellers in Cairo by providing a space on the web that collects and presents
basic information and brief descriptions of some of the literary publishers
and bookstores in Cairo. In order to locate a specific title of more recent
Arabic literature, one typically starts with the publisher. Many bookstores
in Cairo arrange their shelves by publisher, and often in order to procure
a specific title - especially one by a lesser known author or that hasn't
made it into multiple print runs - one must make a trip to the original
publishing house itself. One of the aims of CairoBookStop is to help those
seeking titles track down publishers and where their desired books may be
located in Cairo.

What you’ll find on the site:

·      a list of publishers, with a page dedicated to each publishing house

·      a list of bookstores, also with a page dedicated to each

·      a map to help locate these publishers and bookstores

·      a list of ways to contribute information

·      some general information about publishing and bookselling venues in
Cairo

We are continuing work on the Arabic site of CairoBookStop (محطة كتب
القاهرة). Currently we have pages for each house and bookstore with the
basic information provided, and we will be moving the content into Arabic
over the next few months.

CairoBookStop was created by Nancy Linthicum, a doctoral candidate in
Arabic Language and Literature in the Department of Near Eastern Studies at
the University of Michigan, and Michele Henjum, who holds an MA in
Comparative Literature from the City University of New York (CUNY) Graduate
Center and lives and works in Cairo as a translator. It is very much a
labor of love and a project we hope to expand. We make every attempt to
keep the information presented relevant and up to date. To let us know
about changes or possible houses or bookstores to be added, please use the
forms on our 'Contact' page, or send your comments via email to us at:
cairobookstop at gmail.com. We welcome your suggestions and feedback and hope
you enjoy looking through CairoBookStop and find it a useful and
informative site.

Best,
Nancy Linthicum and Michele Henjum

--
Nancy Linthicum
Doctoral Candidate, Arabic Language and Literature