Arabic-L:LING:Heritage Arabic speakers needed for a study

Fri Feb 14 19:11:41 UTC 2014

1) Subject: Heritage Arabic speakers needed for a study

Date: 14 Feb 2014
From: Assma Al Thowaini <ama2670 at gmail.com>
Subject: Heritage Arabic speakers needed for a study

Dear all,

My name is Assma Al Thowaini. I am a graduate student at the Second
Language Acquisition program at the University of Maryland. Currently, I am
studying how heritage Arabic learners understand Arabic words compared to
native speakers.

Heritage speaker could mean but not limited to the following norm:

   - Arabic is considered your first language, but it is not the dominant
   everyday language.
   - You express yourself better in another language
   - Your parents and/or grandparents are Arabic speakers
   - You started learning a second language (not Arabic) during your
   childhood
   - You are or you have taken Arabic courses to maintain or relearn Arabic

If you decide to take part in this study, you would be sent a link where
you are asked to perform quick and simple decision tasks, followed by a
familiarity rating. The study will not take longer than 45 minutes and you
will be paid $15 upon completion. You can complete the study remotely
anywhere and anytime at your convenience on a computer running Windows. I
am looking for the following criteria:

   - Advanced level of Arabic (Heritage speakers)
   - Arabic experience/education of 4 years and above
   -  Age 18 and older

Your participation will be strictly confidential. I will not share your
identity or anything you provide with anyone.

Are you willing to participate?

If yes, please go to the following link to read and submit the following
form.

http://goo.gl/39qAZF

Once you submit the form, I will direct you to take a quick background
questionnaire and a cloze test (fill-in-the-blank task). The test will
determine your Arabic level and whether you are qualified for this study.
You will receive immediate feedback on your current Arabic proficiency
level. Once you are qualified based on your language level and background,
I will email you the details of the study.

If you have any questions or concerns about this study, feel free to
contact me at <ama2670 at gmail.com>

I greatly appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Assma Al Thowaini