Arabic-L:PEDA:When to teach the root and pattern system

Wed Jan 8 23:54:02 UTC 2014

1) Subject: When to teach the root and pattern system
2) Subject: When to teach the root and pattern system

Date: 08 Jan 2014
From: Nehad <shawky at aucegypt.edu>
Subject: When to teach the root and pattern system

When it comes to instructing students in root-and-pattern morphology and
vocabulary learning strategies, my  recommendations is that "the root and
patterns system be trained starting as early as the first semester as an
integral part of
lexical development activities.Introduce some version of this concept as
early as students are prepared to understand it.
(a useful idea  to start with , is the root for كتب and explain that ك-ت-ب
is the root for the wordsكتاب-مكتوب This is taken from my practical
experience in the University of Alabama for three years. Root and pattern
system served as a reminder for the word كتاب.

Timing for introducing root and pattern system led me into asking students
to form their own ""on line dictionary. the triumphant feeling that
students were able to find a relationship between meaning and the root ،
and generating new meanings through (اشتقاق) was rewarding to me. I dare
say that it was successful experience.

Best,
Nehad Shawqi
The University of Alabama