Arabic-L:LING:Arabic language resources on language and identity

Tue Jan 14 00:08:47 UTC 2014

1) Subject: Arabic language resources on language and identity
2) Subject: Arabic language resources on language and identity
3) Subject: Arabic language resources on language and identity

Date: 13 Jan 2014
Subject: Arabic language resources on language and identity

Dear Aja,

Some papers on the topic pulled from my bibliography software, please
excuse the strange formatting:

Al-Batal, M. (2002). Identity and Language Tension in Lebanon: The Arabic
of the Local News at LBCI. In Language Contact and Language Conflict in
Arabic: Variations on a Sociolinguistic Theme. RoutledgeCurzon.
Holes, C. (1986). The social motivation for phonological convergence in
three Arabic dialects. International Journal of the Sociology of Language,
61, 33 – 51.
Karyolemou, M. (In press). Aspects of identity in the Arab community of
Cyprus. In J. Argenter (Ed.), Identitat, Europa, Mediterrània Dinàmiques
identitàries a la Mediterrània. Βαρκελόνη: Càtedra UNESCO de Llengües i
Educació Institut d’Estudis Catalans.
Lawson, S., & Sachdev, I. (2000). Codeswitching in Tunisia: Attitudinal and
behavioural dimensions. Journal of Pragmatics, 32(9), 1343 –1361. doi:
http://dx.doi.org/DOI: 10.1016/S0378-2166(99)00103-4
Macdonald, M. C. . (2009). Literacy and Identity in Pre-Islamic Arabia.
Ashgate.
Gabsi, Z. (2011). Attrition and maintenance of the Berber language in
Tunisia. International Journal of the Sociology of Language,2011(211), 135
– 164.
Hoffman, K. (2006). Berber language ideologies, maintenance, and
contraction: Gendered variation in the indigenous margins of Morocco.
Language and Communication, 26, 144–167.
Youssi, A. (1995). The Moroccan triglossia: facts and implications.
International Journal of the Sociology of Language, 1995(112), 29–44.
Hachimi, A. (2007). Becoming Casablancan: Fessis in Casablanca. In C.
Miller, E. Al-Wer, D. Caubet, & J. C. E. Watson (Eds.), Arabic in the City.
New York: Routledge.
Hachimi, A. (2001). Shifting Sands: Language and Gender in Moroccan Arabic.
In M. Hellinger & H. Bussmann (Eds.), Gender Across Languages: The
Linguistic Representation of Women and Men (pp. 27–51). Philadelphia: John
Benjamins Publishing Company.
Hachimi, A. (2013). The Maghreb-Mashreq language ideology and the politics
of identity in a globalized Arab world. Journal of Sociolinguistics, 17(3),
269–296.