Dena'ina (and Tlingit, sorta) in the news

Gary Holton gmholton at ALASKA.EDU
Thu Dec 17 17:49:20 UTC 2009

Nothing intrinsically wrong with purism -- unless it become a barrier
to revitalization. Coining new words is great, when possible, but
borrowing is often much easier and greatly facilitates expansion into
new lexical domains. Note that two centuries ago, when the Dena'ina
language situation was much more vibrant, it borrowed more than 400
items from Russian. Borrowing can be a very powerful force in language
maintenance.

Gary