My notes on Athabaskan languages

Andrej A. Kibrik aakibrik at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 10 08:30:13 UTC 2010

Hi James,

I enjoyed your site very much. I looked up the Athabaskan languages
information, and also the page about salmon. Great job!

I am not sure, but to my ear people in Alaska pronounce Kuskokwim with the
stress on the final syllable. Or maybe it is just a secondary stress, I am
not sure

As for the genealogy, I doubt that Upper Kuskokwim can be closer to Tutchone
than to Koyukon, as the tree suggests. UK and Koyukon are really similar. I
don't know anything about Tutchone, but it should be a lot more different,
just because of the distance and no contacts for centuries.

I was looking at some of Gary Holton's materials of Tanacross, and it looks
to me far more distant from UK than Koyukon. However, I heard both from
Michael Krauss and from native speakers that Lower Tanana is the closest to
UK. I can neither confirm or refute this, as LT materials are not as
accessible as Koyukon.

Next week I will be visiting, for the first time, in the Tlingit country -
there will be a Russian America conference in Sitka. Is that where you are
from originally?

Best

Andrej