"Voiced obstruent" mistakes

Andrea L. Berez andrea.berez at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 18 15:07:14 UTC 2010

Hi,

That's a good point. It's misleading to assume that e.g. <j> really
> represents the same sound in both Tlingit and English. Unfortunately
> most teachers aren't linguists and thus don't try very hard to be
> precise about these things.

During this trip I've been spending a some time in adult Ahtna language
classes, and I've noticed that elder speaker-teachers seems to be far more
distressed by students' lack of attention to manner distinctions than to
voicing distinctions (including my own). Missing an affricate or, more
commonly, an ejective is far more likely to be corrected by an elder than
making a voicing error, especially word-medially.

Andrea