"Voiced obstruent" mistakes

De Reuse, Willem WillemDeReuse at MY.UNT.EDU
Thu Feb 18 22:11:32 UTC 2010

What Andrea says is true for Han (Northern Athabascan) and Western Apache (Southern Athabascan) as well.

Willem de Reuse
________________________________
From: ATHAPBASCKAN-L [ATHAPBASCKAN-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] on behalf of Andrea L. Berez [andrea.berez at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:07 AM
To: ATHAPBASCKAN-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: "Voiced obstruent" mistakes

Hi,

That's a good point. It's misleading to assume that e.g. <j> really
represents the same sound in both Tlingit and English. Unfortunately
most teachers aren't linguists and thus don't try very hard to be
precise about these things.

During this trip I've been spending a some time in adult Ahtna language classes, and I've noticed that elder speaker-teachers seems to be far more distressed by students' lack of attention to manner distinctions than to voicing distinctions (including my own). Missing an affricate or, more commonly, an ejective is far more likely to be corrected by an elder than making a voicing error, especially word-medially.

Andrea