Updates to Athabaskan notes

Harald Hammarström harald at BOMBO.SE
Sun Jan 2 10:30:36 UTC 2011

Thanks James for responding, it clears up a number of loose ends for me. I
think there are two different issues with the Athapaskan listing and the
relation to Ethnologue. 1) What to list, a preliminary, ad hoc, cum grano
salis list of normed varieties, varieties with a name in the literature,
dialects, languages etc? I don't have any advice for you here that you are
not already well aware of. 2) How whatever you lost corresponds to that of
the Ethnologue. In many (but not all) cases it is possible to determine what
Ethnologue code a variety corresponds to. For example, if we take Sapir to
be right in that Chasta Costa and Tututni are mutually intelligible,
then it follows that Chasta Costa falls under the Tututni ethnologue-code,
since those codes intend to group varieties which are mutually intelligible
into the same code (as per the Ethnologue introduction). Suppose in some
other case that the Ethnologue
is wrong according to its own intention and groups A and B that are not, in
reality, mutually intelligible into a code xxx. Then in a listing of A and
B, both A and B still correspond to xxx of the Ethnologue. all the best, H