Updates to Athabaskan notes

Harald Hammarström harald at BOMBO.SE
Sun Jan 2 10:37:57 UTC 2011

I might add that a couple of people of us at MPI-Leipzig are working on a
"language"-inventory based on varieties reported in some published document.
The user can then choose or define whatever level of grouping he/she wants
for his/her purposes. It is expected
to be out (ie. online) in 2011.

As much as there are problems with the Ethnologue, the fact is that
linguists/the linguistic community have not produced anything remotely as
useful as the Ethnologue. I think many complaints that E is not reflecting a
linguistically informed reality should be
re-directed to the linguistic community, asking why there is no a
linguistically informed catalogue produced by the linguistic
community.

all the best,