edited volume on Athabaskan verbal art/translation

Anthony Webster awebster at SIU.EDU
Mon Sep 10 18:47:25 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I am trying to gauge interest for a potential edited volume from the
University of Nebraska Press centered around translations of Athabaskan
languages' verbal artistic traditions (narratives, song, jokes, oratory,
etc.). The book would be modeled after Brian Swann's Algonquian Spirit
(2005, University of Nebraska Press), which focused on broadly conceived
ethnopoetic translations of various Algonquian languages' verbal artistic
traditions. It would be good to have contributions from Northern Athabaskan
languages, Pacific and Californian Athabaskan languages, and Southern
Athabaskan languages.  At this point, I am just trying to find out if there
is any interest in contributing to such a project (which would, I believe,
enable comparisons and contrasts about Athabaskan verbal aesthetic
practices and highlight the on-going importance of such verbal artistic
traditions and innovations of those traditions). If you have an interest,
please email me with your idea (briefly describing it). I will compile them
and then go from there. If you have any questions, just send me an email
and I can answer your questions. Very best, Anthony K. Webster

--
Anthony K. Webster, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

Dream other dreams, and better!