Haida related to Miwok, not Na-Dene?

Geoffrey Caveney geoffreycaveney at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 25 12:52:41 UTC 2013

In my comparison of Haida and Proto-Miwok, I compare a form meaning 'liver'
to another form meaning 'liver', a form meaning 'bone' to another form
meaning 'bone', 'my' to 'I', 'black' to 'black', 'night' to 'night', 'one'
to 'one', etc. Also, all of the forms I compare have closely matching
initial and final consonants.

In your comparison of Uralic and Costanoan, you compare a form meaning
'water' to a form meaning 'to spit', a form meaning 'to eat' to a form
meaning 'soup', a form meaning 'tongue' to a form meaning 'taste, smell', a
form meaning 'cloud' to a form meaning 'dew', a form meaning 'green' to a
form meaning 'yellow', and so on. You also compare forms with such
discrepant consonants as *sai *and *ange*, *lawan *and *njeHl*, *qapam *and
*kadwa*, *lalak *and *kark*, and so on.

I would rather have a dozen solid comparisons than 100 shaky comparisons.

Geoffrey Caveney