Haida related to Miwok, not Na-Dene?

Arnaud fournet.arnaud at WANADOO.FR
Thu Jul 25 13:19:28 UTC 2013

Le 25/07/2013 14:52, Geoffrey Caveney a écrit :
> In my comparison of Haida and Proto-Miwok, I compare a form meaning
> 'liver' to another form meaning 'liver', a form meaning 'bone' to
> another form meaning 'bone', 'my' to 'I', 'black' to 'black', 'night'
> to 'night', 'one' to 'one', etc. Also, all of the forms I compare have
> closely matching initial and final consonants.
>
> In your comparison of Uralic and Costanoan, you compare a form meaning
> 'water' to a form meaning 'to spit', a form meaning 'to eat' to a form
> meaning 'soup', a form meaning 'tongue' to a form meaning 'taste,
> smell', a form meaning 'cloud' to a form meaning 'dew', a form meaning
> 'green' to a form meaning 'yellow', and so on. You also compare forms
> with such discrepant consonants as /sai /and /ange/, /lawan /and
> /njeHl/, /qapam /and /kadwa/, /lalak /and /kark/, and so on.
>
> I would rather have a dozen solid comparisons than 100 shaky comparisons.
***

Well, I think we need to put the discussion back on the right track.
I could just as well spit ten lines of bad words on your approach.
There's no "and so on", "shaky" and similar knee-jerk emotional trash.
I suggest you avoid that kind of language: this is neither a law court,
nor a dog pit.

Of course you selected those words that may be most debatable.
And it's also possible that you find them debatable because you are not
competent about Uralic reconstruction...
Besides Chimariko is qaapam with a long vowel, which is perfectly
coherent with the lost of d when compared to Saami gadpe.
As exemplified in my paper, there's a widespread tendency to simplify
clusters.
In addition I cited Uralic preforms as per the UEW for conveniency, this
does not mean they are correct, as a matter of fact, I tend to think
most are false, and my work on Cal-Uralic precisely aims at a better
reconstruction of PU. This is one of the underlying targets of the paper.

Besides your claim that you operate with one to one comparisons is
obviously false:

Haida tl'ak'úl 'liver' ; Proto-Miwok *kylla 'liver'
Haida skuj 'bone' ; Proto-Eastern Miwok *kyc((:)yc(- 'bone'
(Lake Miwok kúlum may or may not be related at all, so I don't believe
it's necessary to restrict the comparison to the limited Proto-Miwok
reconstruction *ky...)
Haida -gan 'my' ; Proto-Miwok *kánni 'I'
Haida hlGahl 'black' ; Proto-Miwok *kul... 'black'
Haida Gáal 'night' ; Proto-Miwok *kawy:l 'night'
Haida sGwáansang 'one' ; Proto-Miwok *keng:... 'one'
S. Haida k'aw 'cold' ; Proto-Miwok *ky(:)w(e)... 'cold'

So we have three different phonemes of Haida: k', g, G, all collapsed
into Miwok *k
besides k is skuj is not initial, j is not a likely comparandum of c^, etc.
Miwok y is Haida u in two items but Haida a in another one...
Haida a(a) is a or u or e or y(:) ...

Try to be more objective with your own work and open-minded with that of
other people...

I'm not saying that there's nothing intriguing or interesting in what
you wrote before.
For example it's interesting to note that we have:
- Miwok s^ynte "eye"
- Costanoan simme "eye"
- Uralic südme "eye"
This case goes against your proposal of a Haida word with X as initial.

A.