Altheide & Michalowski (1999). Fear in the News

杉森 典子 n_sugimori at YAHOO.CO.JP
Wed Aug 31 00:36:52 UTC 2005

Dear all:
Thank you for reminding us of this summer's reading, Linnea. I wonder if some members may be experiencing difficulties getting hold of Altheide and Michalowski's 1999 article in the Sociological Quarterly. If so, I have gerat news for you. I have just received email from Blackwell, telling me that the Sociological Quarterly is free online for two months. T Visit http://www.blackwell-synergy.com
Let me give you the complete information about the article.
475
FEAR IN THE NEWS. A Discourse of Control

David L. Altheide, R. Sam Michalowski

Vol.40, July 1999, Soiological Quarterly

I will read this article now. I hope to write my response tomorrow.

All the best,

Noriko

 Linnea Micciulla <lmicciulla at COMCAST.NET> wrote: Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone else has had a chance to read this month's (or,
more accurately, this summer's) reading, but I have finally gotten
around to it, so I thought I would share my thoughts.

In general, I thought it was quite an interesting study, although I
found parts of it disjointed. The authors seek to explore how "fear" is
used in the news, focusing primarily on a local Arizona newspaper. The
rationale for exploring this topic in particular is the authors' belief
(which I share) that fear is used to enable "reactive social policies
that promote state control and surveillance." (p. 476). They refer to
their approach as "mapping" and "tracking" the use of fear in the news
over a 10 year period.

Major findings include:
twice as frequent use of the word "fear" in headlines and text over a
7-10 year period in several major and local U.S. newspapers
fear is distributed over many sections, especially front page, sports,
business and editorials
over time fear has "traveled" through many topics, but is consistently
associated with children, community, schools and police
the perception of fear has increased, as part of a "discourse of fear,"
according to various polls
although people are more fearful, the crime rate has actually decreased,
and the level of fear is an anomaly in a population that is
exceptionally safe and healthy

They discuss at length the creation of a "problem frame" as "a secular
alternative to a morality play". (p. 479). "The focus is on individual
misfortune perpetrated by an evil agent... pursued by an agent of
righteousness..." (p. 495). Examples illustrate how problems of
increased crime are framed within a debate about whether police need
more resources, rather than employing a frame which examines the root
causes of crime.

One thing I found interesting was the authors' explanation for why the
association of fear with violence, drugs and gangs was surpassed by an
association of fear with children and schools in 1995. They suggest
that the association of fear with violence, drugs and gangs had become
automatic by that time, so that fear was evoked as part of their
connotation, and no longer needed to be mentioned explicitly. Although
that's an interesting hypothesis and may well be true, there doesn't
seem to be an easy way to substantiate it, and it seems strange to me
that fear wouldn't be equally associated with violence prior to 1995. I
suspect that the shift to children and school is partly due to an
increase of school violence (or, at least, the reporting of it) and
partly a tactic to draw on the readers' emotions by mentioning children
and fear.

I think this kind of study, which shows a contrast between public
perception (as fed by the media) and real-world events, can be quite
illuminating. In this case, where the discrepancy between fear and
actual danger is so great, it's hard to dispute the findings. Since the
news is so entertainment-driven and emotion-laden these days, critical
analysis that shows such clear and purposeful distortion of reality is
much needed.

I'd be interested to hear what others thought of the article, or about
the potential of this kind of study for CDA.

Linnea

Noriko Sugimori
20 Chestnut Street #204, Cambridge, MA 02139
tel & fax 617-494-6497
杉森典子
〒939-8051 富山市大泉中部123 秋本方
tel & fax 076-421-1337