Who is in CDA-Discuss?

Linnea Micciulla polyglot at BU.EDU
Fri Feb 4 15:57:07 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

Given the apparent diversity of people who have signed up on this list, I
thought it might be interesting to see where we are from and what our
interests are. Based on the e-mail addresses of CDA-Discuss list members
(and personal contact), it looks like we have people on this list from the
following countries:

Brazil, Canada, China, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Korea, Romania, Sweden, Syria,
Turkey, UK, US, New Zealand, and quite possibly a few others

On the one hand, I don't want anyone to feel obliged to participate if you
would rather just follow the conversation - on the other hand, this seems
like a tremendous opportunity to share a variety of perspectives from all
over the globe, and I would hate to waste it!

So please introduce yourself! Where are you from?  Are you a student /
professor / other?  Is your background linguistics / journalism / rhetoric /
something else? What is your interest in CDA?  And, what I'm REALLY curious
about - if not through me, how did you find out about this list?

I'm a doctoral candidate at Boston University.  I've really been all over
the map with my linguistic interests - first computational linguistics, then
phonology, now CDA.  I still don't know what my dissertation topic will be;
I'm working full time while going to school, so I'm going through the PhD
very slowly!  I find CDA compelling... and important.  I think it is a path
towards not only understanding how discourses can ultimately produce
suffering, but perhaps also towards developing methods of countering these
harmful discourses.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Regards,
Linnea