Who is in CDA-Discuss?

anupam das anupam_d_in at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 4 18:17:52 UTC 2005

Hi Folks,
       Thanks for initiating this great effort to bring people of diverse range of interest together in this virtual space. Let me briefly introduce myself to all of you. Hi, I am Anupam Das; a doctoral student in Linguistics at Indiana University, Bloomingtion. I am from Kolkata (previously Calcutta)- an eastern Indian Metropoliton. I am proficient in Bangla (Bengali), English, Hindi, and Sanskrit to various degrees. My research interest rotates within Sociolinguistics, Computer Mediated Discourse Analysis and Pragmatics. Currently I am emplyed as  Graduate Assistant in a project called Quest Atlantis funded by NSF. The project is investigating padagogical issues of kids aged between 9-14 yrs old. QA is an online learning environments for the kids.

I hope this information will give you some idea who I am. If you want to learn more about me just shooot me. I enjoy talking to friends online. I must mention that I enjoy your posting and before it's too late I shall be participating in your discussion actively.

regards,
Anupam.

Linnea Micciulla <polyglot at BU.EDU> wrote:Hi everyone,

Given the apparent diversity of people who have signed up on this list, I
thought it might be interesting to see where we are from and what our
interests are. Based on the e-mail addresses of CDA-Discuss list members
(and personal contact), it looks like we have people on this list from the
following countries:

Brazil, Canada, China, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Korea, Romania, Sweden, Syria,
Turkey, UK, US, New Zealand, and quite possibly a few others

On the one hand, I don't want anyone to feel obliged to participate if you
would rather just follow the conversation - on the other hand, this seems
like a tremendous opportunity to share a variety of perspectives from all
over the globe, and I would hate to waste it!

So please introduce yourself! Where are you from? Are you a student /
professor / other? Is your background linguistics / journalism / rhetoric /
something else? What is your interest in CDA? And, what I'm REALLY curious
about - if not through me, how did you find out about this list?

I'm a doctoral candidate at Boston University. I've really been all over
the map with my linguistic interests - first computational linguistics, then
phonology, now CDA. I still don't know what my dissertation topic will be;
I'm working full time while going to school, so I'm going through the PhD
very slowly! I find CDA compelling... and important. I think it is a path
towards not only understanding how discourses can ultimately produce
suffering, but perhaps also towards developing methods of countering these
harmful discourses.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Regards,
Linnea