Who is in CDA-Discuss?

Lutfi M Hussein lutfi_hussein at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 8 17:19:47 UTC 2005

Hi,

I was born and raised in Jordan. I've been living in the States since Fall 1997
when I joined the Linguistics MA program at Arizona State University. I
defended my MA thesis on the ideological representation of Arabs in the NY
Times in 2000.

I am currently enrolled in the PhD program Rhetoric/Composition/Linguistics at
ASU. In my dissertation I am examining the discursive construction of Arab
American identity on the Internet. I am still at the stage of doing research
and collecting data. So this discussion forum could be very helpful to me. I
expect to defend my dissertation in Fall 2005.

Since 1998 I have been teaching writing and linguistics courses at ASU and a
community college, Mesa Community College.

Best wishes, Lutfi

--- Linnea Micciulla <polyglot at BU.EDU> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Given the apparent diversity of people who have signed up on this list, I
> thought it might be interesting to see where we are from and what our
> interests are. Based on the e-mail addresses of CDA-Discuss list members
> (and personal contact), it looks like we have people on this list from the
> following countries:
>
> Brazil, Canada, China, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Korea, Romania, Sweden, Syria,
> Turkey, UK, US, New Zealand, and quite possibly a few others
>
> On the one hand, I don't want anyone to feel obliged to participate if you
> would rather just follow the conversation - on the other hand, this seems
> like a tremendous opportunity to share a variety of perspectives from all
> over the globe, and I would hate to waste it!
>
> So please introduce yourself! Where are you from?  Are you a student /
> professor / other?  Is your background linguistics / journalism / rhetoric /
> something else? What is your interest in CDA?  And, what I'm REALLY curious
> about - if not through me, how did you find out about this list?
>
> I'm a doctoral candidate at Boston University.  I've really been all over
> the map with my linguistic interests - first computational linguistics, then
> phonology, now CDA.  I still don't know what my dissertation topic will be;
> I'm working full time while going to school, so I'm going through the PhD
> very slowly!  I find CDA compelling... and important.  I think it is a path
> towards not only understanding how discourses can ultimately produce
> suffering, but perhaps also towards developing methods of countering these
> harmful discourses.
>
> Hope to hear from you soon!
>
> Regards,
> Linnea