new members

Beatriz Verdasco Vidal bverdasco.uo at UNIOVI.ES
Wed Feb 16 15:35:57 UTC 2005

Hello,
My name is Beatriz Verdasco Vidal and I am a PhD student at the University
of Oviedo in Spain, in the Department of English, French and German. I am
currently working on my dissertation, which analyzes the discourse of
tourism promotion in peripheral regions of Spain. I am using Critical
Discourse Analysis (particularly as in van Dijk and Fairclough) as one of my
main guidelines. I am also working on a project about the use of conceptual
metaphors in tourist discourse. My background includes a BA in English
Studies (Univ. of Oviedo), and an MA in Hispanic Linguistics (at Univ. of
Massachusetts, Amherst), focusing on Bilingualism and Language Contact. I
have also been a visiting scholar at City University of New York. I am
afraid I will not be participating very actively in this list in the near
future because I am running against a deadline but thank you very much for
pointing to some interesting readings. I would, however, like to post a
question that I hope you might be able to answer: it seems that most of the
work in CDA is being done in Europe, but I see that some of the people in
this list are PhD students at U.S. universitites. I would like to know what
U.S. universities or programs are including CDA as a field of research, or
have people who are working on it. Thanks in advance and regards,
Bea

Beatriz Verdasco Vidal
Departamento de Filologia Anglogermanica y Francesa
Universidad de Oviedo
C/ Teniente Alfonso Martinez s/n
33011 Asturias - España