CDA in the USA

Lutfi M Hussein lutfi_hussein at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 16 16:10:29 UTC 2005

Dear Beatriz,

Welcome to the listserv.

As for your question, I can answer it from my personal
experience here at Arizona State University. The PhD
program I am enrolled in is called
Rhetoric/Composition/Linguistics. While the
Linguistics focus in the US is predominantly Chomskyan
(i.e. formalist) rather than Hallidayan (i.e.
functionalist), this Program provides training in
discourse analysis, pragrmatics, and rhetoric, in
addition to composition (i.e. writing courses with
focus on first-year composition).

The rhetorical analysis theorized and practiced here
in the department (and to a certain extent in the US)
meshes in very nicely with the various approaches in
critical discourse analysis (e.g. those of Norman
Fairclough, Teun van Dijk, Gunther Kress, Theo van
Leeuwen, and Ron Scollon).

The main difference I think lies in the fact that the
former does not build on Hallidayan Linguistics. I
however see rhetorical analysis and discourse analysis
to be very similar in their philosophical and
theoretical grounding and critical perspective. That
is why the courses/seminars in rhetoric here examine
issues of social injustice and language exploitation.

Best wishes, Lutfi

--- Beatriz Verdasco Vidal <bverdasco.uo at UNIOVI.ES>

=====
Lutfi M Hussein
lutfi_hussein at yahoo.com
http://www.public.asu.edu/~lhussein/