AAAL/AILA (and future readings)

John E Richardson johnerichardson at CDS-WEB.NET
Tue Jul 12 08:59:30 UTC 2005

hi Linnea,

it would have been great to meet up for a chat. Two things stop me
attending this conference however. The first is what I regard as the
intrusive & authoritarian checks that I would have to subject myself to
to actually get into the USA - finger printing, lying about my political
beliefs, etc. The second is the cost of the conference - $430!
Perhaps we'll all meet at a future (cheaper) conference my side of the
Atlantic!

You also mentioned future readings in a prior email. After a suggestion
from another list member (sorry I can't remember from who!), I printed
off the article on headlines by Daniel Dor. Personally, I didn't like
it: he applies Sperber & Wilson's relevance theory, wich is something I
have never been able to get on with at all. I'm not sure if the approach
fits with that of the rest of the group - but that said, I realise we're
a diverse bunch and so other list members may want to read & discuss
this article.
The article on business discourse from D&S could be a good one to look
at; or any of them from the new special war edition of Lang & Politics.
Alternatively (if I may) there's a realy interesting piece by Billig &
MacMillan on metaphor and idioms in the latest edition of D&S that we
may want to read.

best regards

John

> Hi everyone,
>
> Is anyone else from the list going to the joint AAAL/AILA conference
> (http://www.aila2005.org/) this month?  Let me know if you are; it
would be
> great to meet up and discuss CDA in person!
>
> Best,
> Linnea

John E Richardson
Dept of Journalism Studies