comment??

杉森 典子 n_sugimori at YAHOO.CO.JP
Tue Mar 1 21:10:20 UTC 2005

Dear ?ge,

I am relieved to read your message because I also have
similar confusions. I am not quite sure in what ways
Critical Discourse Analysis is so different from other
discourse analyses. Some scholars say studies that tried
to approach language use critically were always there from
the time of Aristotle.

If we can call any discourse analytic study that tries to
uncover politics and inequality in discourse as CDA (I
hope and think I can), some past studies about your topic
are available.

One example I know is Nancy Ainsworth-Vaughn’s work. Dr.
Ainsworth-Vaughn was a professor at Michigan State
University, and I took her discourse analysis class in
1988. She was suffering from cancer at that time. She
tape-recorded her conversations with her doctor and
analyzed them. In her class, she enthusiastically
emphasized the importance of applying discourse analysis
on doctor-patient conversations. In 1993 or 1994, she
published a paper on this topic in
“Language in Society.” Further, she also wrote a book
titled
“Claiming Power in Doctor-Patient Talk” (Oxford
University Press) in 1998. Very unfortunately, she passed
away a few years ago. If she were alive, she would tell
you how important and wonderful your topic is, as she did
to her students, including me.

Best wishes,

Noirko

P.S. My computer cannot produce the characters used in
your name correctly.

---------------------------------
Hello everyone!

I have been thinking about this for a time and i wanted to
ask it to you and have your ideas too. I am thinking about
applying CDA to my analysis about the doctor-patient
interaction. What do you think the advantages and
disadvantages of using CDA for this type of a topic as you
know CDA is mostly used for another topics such as
politics, gender and other critical topics as these. I am
really confused about this, as no study has used CDA in
such a topic before.

Could you please comment about this??

Thank you!

�ge