CDA & doctor-patient interaction

杉森 典子 n_sugimori at YAHOO.CO.JP
Wed Mar 2 13:56:31 UTC 2005

Dear all,

I also came across the following new publication:

Medical Interpreting and Cross-cultural Communication
By Caludia V. Angelelli
Cambridge University Press, 2005

Best,

Noriko Sugimori

--- John E Richardson <johnerichardson at CDS-WEB.NET> から
のメッセージ:
> [...]
> applied linguistics and
> these other disciplines, this is understandable; but
> it suggests that
> applied linguists wanting to explore health care
> communication would do
> better, at present at least, to address journals in
> the fields of the
> sociology of medicine, of health care and illness,
> of culture and
> psychiatry, of medical humanities, and of health and
> social behavior,
> such as the Journal of Medical Education; Sociology
> of Health and
> Illness; Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry; the
> Journal of Medical
> Humanities; the Journal of Health and Social
> Behavior; Health
> Communication; and, in particular, Social Science
> and Medicine. It is
> notable, in the latter case, that the editorial
> inaugurating the new
> millennium for the journal explicitly promotes
> submissions drawing on
> qualitative paradigms, including those involving
> discourse data
> (Blaxter, 2000).
>
> Bibliog:
> Armstrong, D., Michie, S., & Marteau, T. (1998).
> Revealed identity: A
> study of the process of genetic counseling. Social
> Sciences & Medicine,
> 47(11), 1653�1658.
> Atkinson, P. (1995. Medical talk and medical work:
> The liturgy of the
> clinic. London: Sage Publications.
> Atwell, C., Coupland, J., Edwards, A., Elwyn, G., &
> Smith, C. (2002,
> April). Coconstruction of GP痴 discursive expertise:
> Patients, GPs and
> patterns of information exchange and decision-making
> implications for
> training. University of Wales College of Medicine,
> Cardiff and Centre
> for Language & Communication, Cardiff University,
> UK. Paper presented at
> the Sociolinguistics Symposium 14, Gent.
> Barrett, R. (1998). The schizophrenic and the
> liminal persona in modern
> society. Review Essay. Culture, Medicine &
> Psychiatry, 22, 465�494.
> Barry, C., Stevenson, F., Britten, N., Barber, N., &
> Bradley, C. (2001).
> Giving voice to the lifeworld. More humane, more
> effective medical care?
> A qualitative study of doctor朴atient communication
> in general practice.
> Social Science & Medicine, 53(4), 487�505.
> Battle, D. E. (Ed.). (1993). Communication disorders
> in multicultural
> populations. Boston: Andover Medical Publishers.
> Beach, W. A. (2001a). Introduction: Diagnosing 鼠ay
> diagnosis�. TEXT,
> 21(1�2), 13�18.
> Beach, W. A. (2001b). Stability and ambiguity:
> Managing uncertain
> moments when updating news about mom痴 cancer. TEXT,
> 21(1�2), 221�250.
> Blaxter, M. (2000). Medical sociology at the start
1139�1142.
> Boi, S. (2000). Nurses� experiences in caring for
> patients from
> different cultural backgrounds. NT Research, 5(5),
> 382�390.
> Buttny, R. (1996). Client痴 and therapist痴 joint
> construction of
> clients� problems. Research on Language and
Social
> Interaction, 29(2),
> 125�153.
> Cameron, D., Frazer, E., Harvey, P., Rampton, M. B.
> H., & Richardson, K.
> (1992). Researching language: Issues of power and
> method. London: Routledge.
> Candlin, C. N., & Candlin, S. (2002b). Discourse,
> expertise and the
> management of risk in health care settings. Research
> on Language and
> Social Interaction, 35(2), 115�137.
> Candlin, S. (1997). Towards excellence in nursing.
> An analysis of the
> discourse of nurses and patients in assessment
> situations. Unpublished
> Ph.D. dissertation. University of Lancaster,
> Department of Linguistics
> and Modern English Language.
> Candlin, S. (2000). New dynamics in the
> nurse-patient relationship? In
> S. Sarangi, & M. Coulthard (Eds.), Discourse and
> social life (pp.
> 230�245). London: Longman.
> Carol, E. M. (1991). Interpreting information:
> Health care communication
> among family nurse practitioners, interpreters, and
> Cambodian refugee
> patients. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, University
> of California, San
> Francisco.
> Cheng, L. L. (1997). Diversity: Challenges and
> implications for
> assessment. Journal of Children痴 Communication
> Development, 19(1), 53�61.
> Cicourel;, A. (1992). The interpenetration of
> communicative contexts:
> Examples from medical encounters. In A. Duranti & C.
> Goodwin (Eds.),
> Rethinking context: Language as an interactive
> phenomenon (pp. 291�310).
> Cambridge University Press.
> Cohen, S., Moran-Ellis, J., & Smaje, C. (1999).
> Children as informal
> interpreters in GP consultations: Pragmatics and
> ideology. Sociology of
> Health & Illness, 21(2), 163�186.
> Coupland, J., Robinson, J. D., & Coupland, N.
> (1994). Frame negotiation
> in doctorelderly patient consultations. Discourse &
> Society, 5(1), 89�124.
> Coupland, N., Sarangi, S., & Candlin, C. N. (Eds.).
> (2001).
> Sociolinguistics and social theory. London: Longman.
> Crossley, M. L., & Crossley, N. (2001). 善atient�
> voices, social
> movements and the habitus: How psychiatric survivors
> 叢eak out.� Social
> Science & Medicine, 52(10), 1477�1489.
> Davis, M. (2000). Communicating nonverbally with
> non-English speaking

=== message truncated ==

Noriko Sugimori
20 Chestnut Street #204, Cambridge, MA 02139
tel & fax 617-494-6497
杉森典子
〒939-8051 富山市大泉中部123 秋本方
tel & fax 076-421-1337