Wasburn and Burke (1997)

Linnea Micciulla polyglot at BU.EDU
Tue Nov 1 18:13:56 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments, Noriko!  I have also had a conversation with a
Russian friend who wondered why Russians expect their newspapers to be
filled with propaganda while Americans seem to believe that their newspapers
are filled with facts. (I suspect we are both referring to the same Russian
friend!) I can only guess a) whether this suggestion is true, and b) if
true, why. Perhaps the U.S. propaganda machine is especially effective (see
Altheide & Grimes in the Sociological Quarterly for more on that!). Or
perhaps comfortable lifestyles make people less skeptical or less
interested?  It would be interesting to conduct a study to see whether
wealthy Americans tend to be more or less skeptical about the news than
poverty-stricken Americans.

There were a couple of things in the article that didn't make sense to me.
On p. 678, "Overall, data in the three tables indicate not only an absence
of the cold-war frame but also the lack of a framework used to tell numerous
stories incompatible with those told during the cold war." And on p. 683,
"If, in the foreseeable future, an explanatory framework comes to structure
Vremya news discourse... what might it look like?" This assumption of a
"lack of a framework" seemed quite odd to me.  How can there be no
framework?  There's always a framework - perhaps the cold war has been
replaced with a "cooperation" framework or a "capitalist" framework, or a
"benevolent American empire" framework, but I can't envision a lack of a
framework. I suspect that when a discourse analyst claims there is "no
framework" that simply means that a mainstream framework (which may be
invisible to the analyst if the analyst is embedded in it) has been adopted.

Thoughts?

Linnea