Tinker's/Travelling Folk's language

Andrew Carnie acarnie at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 2 02:06:46 UTC 1995

Hi Celtlingers,

This isn't truly a *Celtic* post, but its my best bet for an answer I think.
I just saw Latcho Drom, a great movie about Gypsies in Asia, Africa and
mainland Europe, and am inspired to ask about the tinkers and travellers
of Ireland and Scotland.

Does anyone know anything about their language(s)? Are they related to
Romany? Are they still spoken? And here is the real klinker: Has there
been any descriptive work done on them at all (or theoretical for that matter)?

Since this isn't really an appropriate message for Celtling, I'd ask that
any responses come to me in private email. I'll post a summary if there is
an interest.

Best,

Andrew