Welsh mutations

Andrew Carnie acarnie at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 10 20:02:38 UTC 1995

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 13:01:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Nicholas Kibre <6500njk at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu>

---
Things have been pretty quiet, but your message has reminded me about
something I meant to bring up...

        Reportedly, mutation in Welsh is unable to cross finite-clause
boundaries; thus, even though neu, "or" usually causes lenition, (cf bara
neu gaws<caws, "bread or cheese"), it fails to cause lenition in contexts
such as:

        can-wch      neu dawnsi-wch/*ddanwsi-wch
        sing-2pImper or  dance-2pImper
        "sing or dance"

        However, It's not clear to me whether all mutations are blocked,
or just neu's.  For example, should "dance and sing!" be "dawnsiwch a
chanwch" or just "dawnsiwch a canwch"?
        If anyone out there knows, please tell me!

        Nick Kibre

_              Nicholas Kibre --- 6500njk at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu              _
        Adran Ieithyddiaeth, Prifysgol Califfornia, Santa Barbara

------- End of Forwarded Message