Re Welsh Mutations

Andrew Carnie acarnie at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 31 22:37:47 UTC 1995

------- Forwarded Message

ReceivedFrom: John Koch <jtkoch at husc.harvard.edu>
Subject: Re: Welsh mutations

Off the top of my head and for what it is worth, the verbal noun clearly
mutates "normally" after conjunctions, as in, e.g.

(1) dim ond calon lan all ganu, canu ddydd a chanu nos [showing both soft
and spirant)

and (2) wyt ti am fynd neu beidio? "do you want to go or not?" with two
exx. of soft mutation.

But, I cannot [also off the top of my head] quote an analogue for cerwch neu
baid! or ca^n ddydd a cha^n nos!

One problem in finding examples is the Welsh syntactic strategy whereby a
second conjoined verb in a sentence is the verbal noun rather than a
finite verb: e.g. Canodd Ifan a(c yn) mynd wedyn "John sang and left after
that". Also there is the business of the vestigial use of affirmative
presentential particles, when one gets outside the imperative.

------- End of Forwarded Message