Scots Gaelic & Shelta -- Interlinear glossing

Andrew Carnie acarnie at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 26 14:21:32 UTC 1996

------- Forwarded Message
From: p.bakker at let.uva.nl

Dear list manager,

Could the following message be placed on your list:

Could a speaker of Scottish Gaelic help me with the translation
of a number of sentences? I need them for the study of Shelta,
the language of Irish Travellers. The lexicon of Shelta is partly
distorted Irish, partly of unknown origin. The grammatical
framework is often that of the local language (Irish, Scottish
Gaelic, English).
     Some of the Shelta speakers moved to the Hebrides, where
they embedded their Shelta vocabulary in a Scottish Gaelic
framework. The following sentences have been written down around
teh turn of the century. I would be very happy if anybody could
give me interlinear equivalents in Scottish Gaelic. I am not on
this list. Please reply to me directly.

Thank you very much in advance!

Peter Bakker (p.bakker at nias.knaw.nl) (p.bakker at let.uva.nl)

(1)  tat'h chesin ogomsa

     "that belongs to me"
     [tat'h English "that", Shelta ste:Tau "it is"; ogomsa: od
     "to", m "me" [sa, emphatic first person possessor suffix?]

Hebrides:

(2)  liogach bin                                         (Shelta)
     boy small
                                                         (Gaelic)
     "a small boy"

(3)  mo ch_mair                                          (Shelta)
                                                         (Gaelic)
     my mother
     "my mother"

(4)  mo dhatair                                          (Shelta)
                                                         (Gaelic)
     my father
     "my father"

(5)  cian bin                                            (Shelta)
                                                         (Gaelic)
     house small
     "a tent"

(6)  cian toim                                           (Shelta)
                                                         (Gaelic)
     house white?big?
     "a white house, or cottage"

(7)  deasag shean                                        (Shelta)
     person ??
                                                         (Gaelic)

     "a ragged, old, or dirty person"

(8)  deasag toim                                         (Shelta)
     person ??
                                                         (Gaelic)
     "a pretty, clean, or neat person"

(9)  air a sgeamhas                                      (Shelta)
     air a misgeach                                      (Gaelic)
     on the drunk
     "drunk"

(10) s'deachag ob                                        (Shelta)
                                                         (Gaelic)
     "I am tired"

(11) s' dSis sium a meartsacha air a charan              (Shelta)
                                                         (Gaelic)
     X X X X on the X
     "we are going to the sea"

(12) noid a maslachadh air an lanach                     (Shelta)
                                                         (Gaelic)
     X X X on the X
     "a man is walking on the highway"
     (Shelta misli "to go"?)

(13) s' guidh a bagail air mo ghil                       (Shelta)

     X X X on my X                                       (Gaelic)
     "it is raining"

------- End of Forwarded Message