Voice-onset time (fwd)

Andrew Carnie carnie at ling.ucsc.edu
Mon Jun 2 01:33:50 UTC 1997

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 20:12:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Elizabeth Pyatt <pyatt1 at husc.harvard.edu>
To: The Celtic Linguistics List <CELTLING at mitvma.mit.edu>
Cc: Joseph Eska <eska at vtaix.cc.vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Voice-onset time (fwd)

For Breton data check

Falc'hun, Francois (1951) Le systeme consanantique
du breton avec une etude comparative de phonetique experimentale.  Rennes:
Philon.

Both Breton and Welsh have phonetic aspirates [ph,th,kh] for /p,t,k/ and
[p,t,k] for /b,d,g/, so this system can be reconstructed for
Proto-Brythonic (see Thomas 1990 - BBCS, Grijzenhout 1995 PhD - OTS &
Pyatt 1997 Phd - Harvard).

In addition, Scottish  Gaelic /p,t,k/ are heavily aspirated and /p,t,k/
may have also been aspirated in Old Irish (Grijzenhout 1995).  Therefore,
I would assume that the aspirated system can be reconstructed for
Proto-Celtic, although this is certainly debatable.  This of course would
have interesting implications for how we reconstruct certain sound
changes, notably the origin of the Brythonic Spirant/Aspirate mutation
(Thomas 1990, Grijzenhout 1995, Pyatt 1997). Hope this is useful.

                        Elizabeth J. Pyatt
                        pyatt1 at fas.harvard.edu (for now)

Complete References -

Pyatt, Elizabeth J. (1997) An Integrated Model of the Syntax and Phonology
of Celtic Mutation.  Ph.D.  Harvard University.

Grijzenhout, Janet (1995) Irish Consonant Mutation and Phonological
Theory.  Ph.D. OTS.

Thomas, Peter Wynn  (1990) "The Brythonic Consonant Shift and the
Development of Consonant Mutation," Bulletin of the Board of Celtic
Studies 33:1-42.