wh-extraction in Modern Irish (fwd)

Andrew Carnie carnie at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 10 08:58:39 UTC 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:48:43 -0500
From: Wilma ter Haar <wilma.ter.haar at hum.uit.no>
To: CELTLING at MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Subject: wh-extraction in Modern Irish

----
Dear All,

My colleague Marit Julien has some questions about Modern Irish grammar,
for which she would be grateful if someone could answer them. Please send
your answers directly to her, her email address is at the bottom of this
message.

On behalf of Marit I thank you all very much.

Yours sincerely,
Wilma ter Haar

>Carnie (2000) gives the following examples of possible wh-extractions in Irish:
>
>(1)     Cé aN bhfuil a mháthair san otharlann?
>        'Who is his mother in hospital?'
>
>(2)     Cén píobaire arb é Yellow Submarine [an t-amhrán aL bhuailfeadh sé].
>        '(For) which bagpiper is Yellow Submarine the song which he is
>going to play?'
>
>so I wonder if any of the following is possible:
>
>(3)     Who did [her mother] write a letter to the professor?
>        (i.e for which person did that person's mother write a letter to
>the professor?)
>
>(4)     Who did you say that [her mother] wrote a letter to the professor?
>
>(5)     Who will [a song which she likes] be played next?
>        (for which person will a song which that person likes be played next?)
>
>(6)     Who did you say that [a song which she likes] will be played next?
>
>I would also like to know in what positions the adverb can appear in the
>Irish translations of the following:
>
>(7)     She probably read the letter.
>(8)     She is probably drunk.
>(9)     She is probably a doctor.