welsh vowel alternations (fwd)

Andrew Carnie carnie at linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 27 21:17:36 UTC 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 16:14:46 +0000
From: Antony Green <green at kronos.ling.uni-potsdam.de>
To: CELTLING <celtling at mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: welsh vowel alternations

Hello everyone,

can anyone point me to literature on the Welsh vowel alternation
between the high (back in Northern dialects) unrounded vowel and
schwa that occurs when the vowel is spelled <y> but not when it's
spelled <u>?

I mean this sort of thing:

llys with [I] : llysoedd with [@] versus
llus with [I] : llusen with [I]

(where [I] stands for barred-I in Northern dialects and normal
[i] in Southern dialects).

The only reference I have already is:

Thomas, A. R. (1984). "A lowering rule for vowels and its ramifications,
in a dialect of North Welsh". In M. J. Ball & G. E. Jones (eds.), _Welsh
Phonology_. Cardiff: University of Wales Press.  105-124.

Many thanks for any other references!

-- Antony

Antony Dubach Green                     green at kronos.ling.uni-potsdam.de
Universitdt Potsdam
Institut f|r Linguistik                 Tel. +49 331 9772401
Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 24-25, Haus 35
14476 Golm                              Fax  +49 331 9772087
Germany

            http://www.ling.uni-potsdam.de/~green/index.htm

Is fearr an t-imreas na an t-uaigneas.
Argument is better than loneliness.                      --Irish proverb