Antony Green: Clarification of Synchronic vs. Historical Linguistics

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Fri May 17 11:48:29 UTC 2002

From: Antony Green <green at ling.uni-potsdam.de>
Subject: Re: Moderator:Clarification of Synchronic vs. Historical Linguistics

"Elizabeth J. Pyatt" wrote:
>  "(So etymology is no longer linguistics?)"
>
>  It is of course, but this brings up an important issue from Andrew
>  Carnie's days as moderator. Way back in the ancient days of the
>  mid-90's it was noted that there are a variety of Listservs that
>  serve the older Celtic languages including continental-celtic and Old
>  Irish-L.

But those listservs are not the place to discuss the historical
linguistics and etymology of the modern languages.  If I'm interested
in some sound change or morphological change that happened between
Middle Irish and Modern Irish, or the etymology of some Modern Irish
word that doesn't exist in Old Irish, Old Irish-L and continental-celtic
are not the place to post the question.

And it's not like our mailboxes are full to stuffing with messages from
Celtling anyway!

le meas
Tonio

--
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore.  We don't just borrow
Antony Dubach Green                            green at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Universität Potsdam
Institut für Linguistik                        Tel. +49 331 9772936
Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 24-25, Haus 35
14476 Golm                                     Fax  +49 331 9772087
Germany

                  http://www.ling.uni-potsdam.de/~green/

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link