Antony Green: Clarification of Synchronic vs.Historical Linguistics

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Mon May 20 11:31:10 UTC 2002

From: Antony Green <green at ling.uni-potsdam.de>
To: The Celtic Linguistics List <CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Subject: Re: Clarification of Synchronic vs.Historical
Linguistics

>  From: "Alex Langley" <alangley at onebox.com>
>  To: The Celtic Linguistics List <CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
>
>  T· gaeilge-a agus gaidhlig-a agus welsh-l ann fÛs, nach ea?
>  There are still gaeilge-a, gaidhlig-a and welsh-l, no?

There are indeed, but they are the place for discussion on general
conversational topics *in* the language in question, not the place for
linguistic discussion *about* the language in question.  For me,
Celtling is the place for linguists and other interested academics to
discuss the significance of the Celtic languages for the science of
linguistics, including diachronic linguistics.  Gaeilge-A and the others
are there for native and fluent speakers from all walks of life to chat
with each other in their favorite Celtic language.

Tonio

--
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore.  We don't just borrow
Antony Dubach Green                            green at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Universität Potsdam
Institut für Linguistik                        Tel. +49 331 9772936
Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 24-25, Haus 35
14476 Golm                                     Fax  +49 331 9772087
Germany

                 http://www.ling.uni-potsdam.de/~green/

--
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.