Debate (Caoimhin O Donnaile): Clefting and bleaching

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Tue May 21 11:56:26 UTC 2002

From: Caoimhin O Donnaile <caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk>
To: The Celtic Linguistics List <CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Subject: Re: Debate (Cecil Ward): Clefting and bleaching

Elizabeth said:

>>  No topicalisation function, non-contrastive, no emphasis
>>  c)      'S   e      tidsear    a  tha ann am Pat.
>>           COP 3sg teacher REL is in in Pat
>>           "Pat is a teacher."
>>  A straightforward statement.
>>
>>  Notice that the last example (c) has the exact same syntactic structure
>>  (b). However, I would say that (c) is "unmarked" in pragmatic terms.

It isn't very marked, but it is more marked than:
            Tha Pat 'na tidsear.
which is completely unmarked.

You are right that no-one would say "Is tidsear Pat" except in
very unusual circumstances.

Caoimhín

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link