Tim Saunders: Irish Lenition & Orthographic Depth

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Wed Apr 16 16:14:33 UTC 2003

>From: Tim Saunders <tim.saunders at tinopolis.com>
>To: "'The Celtic Linguistics List'" <CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
>Subject: RE: Antony Green: Irish Lenition & Orthographic Depth
>Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:19:24 +0100

This is all *very* reminiscent of some of the orthographical disputes in
Cornish. In Breton, it has sometimes been asserted by supporters of a given
orthograpy that the other represents a reprehsnsible political option
(French regionalism, fascism, etc.). One or two people have tried this out
with Cornish, but with no success as far as I can see. The arguments often
centre on an (undefined) 'authenticity', with appeals to an (also undefined)
'academic recognition'.
Has anybody ever done any systematic comparisons between linguistic reforms
of this character?

Tim

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link