Stephen Hewitt: Irish Lenition & Orthographic Depth

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Wed Apr 16 16:15:54 UTC 2003

>From: "Hewitt, Stephen" <s.hewitt at unesco.org>
>To: "'The Celtic Linguistics List'" <CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
>Subject: RE: Antony Green: Irish Lenition & Orthographic Depth
>Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:54:00 +0200

Further to Antony's reference to the availability of overdots (buailte) in
the Arial Unicode sans-serif font, they are also available in the new
Gentium Unicode serif font (freeware from
http://www.sil.org/~gaultney/gentium/). You can programme them in Word as
autotext by using Insert/Symbol, highlighting the character, and then doing
Insert/Autotext/New, using something like ".m" as the F3 shortcut for m
buailte; using a punctuation character as the first part of the shortcut
means you do not have to highlight the shortcut for it to work in the middle
of a word - it's easy!

Gentium Unicode also has a full set of IPA symbols, as well as Greek and
Cyrillic.

Steve Hewitt
s.hewitt at unesco.org

--