Brian Doyle 2002 enrollment figures from MLA

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Thu Nov 13 19:54:14 UTC 2003

From: "" <brian at gael-image.com>
To: The Celtic Linguistics List <CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Cc: "" <gleeson at uwm.edu>
Subject: Re: 2002 enrollment figures from MLA

Likewise, I would be curious how this data is compiled. For instance, the
table has rows for both "Irish" and "Irish, Modern." I would assume that,
unless the name specifically says Old Irish or Middle Irish, the modern
vernacular could be assumed.

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee offers Irish every semester through
the Linguistics Department. However, UWM's course schedule lists the classes
as "First Semester of an Uncommonly Taught Language," "Second Semester...,"
and so on. Only the secondary topic field designates the classes as Irish.
(See <http://www.uwm.edu/schedule/Spring2004/LINGUIS.html#132>.)

I wonder if the data collection method is sophisticated enough to drill down
and tally these courses. If not, then one would assume that the numbers are
low.

Sincerely,
Brian Doyle
Graduate Student, Linguistics