Brian Ó Broin: Dictionaries and EU Irish

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Fri Jun 17 16:22:23 UTC 2005

Subject: Dictionaries and EU Irish
From: "Obroin, Brian" <ObroinB at wpunj.edu>
To: "The Celtic Linguistics List...snip...CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>

I'm partially in agreement with George Dillon on
the decision to make Irish an official EU
language; I've developed a strong cynicism
towards anything the Irish government does on the
language. On the other hand, it is a positive
step and (here's a thought, now) much of that EU
funding for translation will actually go towards
*developing* dictionaries, thus further
internationalizing Irish. I know a number of
well-educated people who are fluent in Irish and
other European languages, and who would be happy
to work as translators and word-list compilers.

Regarding dictionaries, I'm aware very of good
ones that are French/Irish (de Hae),
Spanish/Irish (David Barnwell), and German/Irish
(Caldas and Schleicher). That's not bad at all.

There are also a few other smaller dictionaries,
like Panu Höglund's Finnish/Irish dictionary.

I'd also draw the readers' attention to the EU's
TIS (terminology bank)
(<http://tis.consilium.eu.int/utfwebtis/frames/introfsEN.htm>http://tis.consilium.eu.int/utfwebtis/frames/introfsEN.htm).

In balance, this is a very important decision for
Irish, taking the language out of the simple
Irish/English situation that pertains in Ireland
and placing it in the truly multilingual world of
the EU.

This decision will make our lives as
Irish-speaking EU citizens a lot easier. More
rights are always a good thing.

And credit where credit is due. In the last 9
years we've got TG4, the Bille Teangan, and the
Coimisinéir Teangan. And the British government
is moving, if glacially. Fair play to the Irish
government, who really didn't have to do any of
this, and to the selfless activists in Ireland
who made it all happen (Daithí Mac Cárthaigh
springs to mind). Éamon Ó Cuív, by the way, must
also be singled out - he's the best thing that
happened to Irish since arán slisthe.

=====
Brian Ó Broin, Ph.D.
Dept. of English, William Paterson University, New Jersey, USA

Linguistics - Medieval Studies - Irish Studies
Teangeolaíocht-Léann na Meánaoise-Léann na hÉireann
--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link